See What Tomorrow Brings
2016 Key Results
2016 was a year of forward progress at DMAI. With a strategic realignment announced in April, the Association renewed its commitment to focus on providing its members with what they want, need and are willing to support. This past year was filled with first-time achievements and initiatives, and it is the Association's privilege to share these results and plan for the future.
Connecting with Members
The leadership team connected with more than 350 members on an extensive listening tour throughout much of the last year, recognizing the urgency to act on multiple items. Leading this list of priorities included stronger advocacy on behalf of DMOs along with industry research and best practices.
Realigning the Organization
Research, industry insights and extensive analysis across all operational facets of the Association and Foundation resulted in new policies and procedures to ultimately provide the framework to support DMAI initiatives, identified member and partner opportunities, and made enhancements to ensure that the Association is delivering on its commitment of high-quality educational resources and services to keep both individuals and organizations at the front of the industry curve.
Strengthening the DMAI Team
Since embarking on the strategic realignment, we have developed a team of leaders who not only want to help advance our industry, but just as important, are destination marketers in their own right and have been in your roles and understand the challenges and opportunities.
2017 Business Plan
During 2016, DMAI launched several planning sessions to review past and current initiatives with the goal to build a new framework for the organization in 2017 and beyond. The goals and objectives outlined within the 2017 DMAI Business Plan will act as a roadmap for DMAI to become the leading authority and resource for the Destination Marketing industry.
2017 Strategic Goals
- Industry Advocacy Leadership: Become the recognized advocate for the DMO industry
- International Impact: Expand DMAI’s international footprint to grow membership, non-dues revenue and global impact
- Strategic Partnerships: Transform DMAI’s partnership business model to create beneficial solutions for DMOs, partners and DMAI
- Next Generation Professional Development: Become the premier source for destination marketing and management education and professional development
Key 2017 Initiatives
○ 2017 Summit Schedule:
- CEO Summit, March 20-22, Nashville, TN
- CMO Summit, April 23-25, Denver, CO
- Visitor Services Summit, September 24-26, Columbus, OH
- Convention Services Summit, September 27, Columbus, OH
- Membership Summit, October 23-26, Charlotte, NC
- Finance and Operations Summit, November 2017
- Convention Sales Summit, December 2017, Chicago, IL
○ Spirit of Hospitality Celebration, March 1, Washington DC
○ Destination Showcase, March 2, Washington DC
○ 2017 Annual Convention July 11-14, Montreal, Canada
○ New DMO Advocacy toolbox, online resources and research initiatives
○ New staffing structure to support the Destination & Travel Foundation
○ Professional development resources
○ Destination product development / management (new position)
○ Next phase of DestinationNEXT
○ Elevating Destination Marketing Accreditation Program (DMAP)
○ Evolving empowerMINT and Event Impact Calculator (EIC)
○ Expand global footprint to Canada, Mexico, Latin America, and Europe
○ Brand positioning strategy to re-establish DMAI and the Destination & Travel Foundation as THE authoritative voice for the DMO industry
○ Strategically grow and sustain DMAI’s global member base, creating a robust, engaged and energetic member community
The Association looks forward to supporting its members and partners to drive destination economic impact, job creation, community sustainability and quality of life through travel. We will continue to rely on your support and commitment as we collectively work to advance and strengthen our industry.